The 40/8 organization was started in March of 1920 in Philadelphia as a different level of elite membership of the American Legion. It adopted the 40/8 cargo capacity sign emblazoned on each French boxcar that had carried American doughboys to the front. In 1958 ties were severed between the American Legion, and the 40/8 due to a refuseal to change it's constitution to be racially inclusive. In 1974 the 40/8 did change their constitution to prohibit any Voiture from restricting it's membership by race. In 2006 the constitution was again ammended to allow women veterans to join. Membership is by invitation only. As of 2008 a member no longer has to belong to the American Legion to be a 40/8 member.